Sunday, November 25, 2012

Sentence Starters for Kindergarten Writers and Beginning Readers

Your Kindergarten child is just about finishing the first quarter of school. Soon you will be headed to a parent teacher conference to hear about your child’s strengths and to discuss goals for the second quarter. One popular second quarter goal is to encourage more writing from our Kindergartners. How to do that? Easy. I am sure that you have noticed that your child has a longer attention span since the beginning of school and that your child is interested in more things. The way I like to introduce simple writing and simple reading simultaneously is with short patterned books. They are easy to MAKE, yes MAKE, no money involved and your child will love them.
Materials that you need:
• 2 sheets of copy paper
• Stickers of something that your child likes (i.e., a page of scrapbooking stickers full of items, like transportation, or princesses that your child likes)
• Pencil
Directions:
• Fold the two sheets of paper in half, staple together to make a small book
• Place a sticker on each page
• Pick ONE sentence starter from the list below and write the same sentence starter on every page.
• Your child will finish the sentence by writing the name of what is in the picture.
• Now you have a book.
Sentence Starters: USE ONLY ONE PER BOOK, WRITE THE SAME SENTENCE STARTER ON EVERY PAGE OF ONE BOOK, DO NOT MIX SENTENCE STARTERS.
I see a…
I see the…
I see my…
I can see a…
I can see the…
I am a…
Here is the…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Composition on Female Education in Bangladesh for Examination

  Female Education in Bangladesh Education is a light to which everybody has the equal right. Education is the backbone of a nation. The ...