Wednesday, August 1, 2012

And, but and or exercise for JSC Exam

And, but and or exercise

Complete the following sentences using the conjunctions and, but or or.
1. I know the answer ……………………… will not tell you.
2. We rushed to the station ………………………. the train had gone.
3. The bus was crowded ……………………….. I managed to get in.
4. This Sunday we can go for a picnic ……………………… visit Uncle James.
5. On a warm summer day, will you wear a black shirt ………………………… a white shirt?
6. I think he will come, ……………………. I am not sure.
7. Aunt Emma is eighty years old ………………………. her eyes are still sharp.
8. I called ………………….. he did not answer.
9. If you want it, come ……………………. get it.
10. Most people work by day …………………….. sleep at night.
Answers
1. I know the answer but will not tell you.
2. We rushed to the station but the train had gone.
3. The bus was crowded but I managed to get in.
4. This Sunday we can go for a picnic or visit Uncle James.
5. On a warm summer day, will you wear a black shirt or a white shirt?
6. I think he will come, but I am not sure.
7. Aunt Emma is eighty years old but her eyes are still sharp.
8. I called but he did not answer.
9. If you want it, come and get it.
10. Most people work by day and sleep by night.

Special uses of some conjunctions

While
The conjunction while is used with the following meanings.
While = during the time that; for as long as; at the same time as
While there is life there is hope.
The girls danced while the boys sang.
While in London, he learned music.
While = whereas; although
While I admire your courage, I think you ought not to go on this dangerous journey.
While I have no money to spend, you have nothing to spend on.
Only
As a conjunction only has the following meanings: except that; but; were it not that; as
The book would be useful to you, only it is expensive.
She is a pretty girl, only she squints a little.
The day is pleasant, only it is slightly cold.
Without
Without is no longer used as a conjunction meaning unless. In older English it was possible.
We cannot play unless he gives us permission. (NOT We cannot play without he gives us permission.)
Without can be used as a preposition. In this case it is followed by a noun.
We cannot play without his permission.
Except
Except is no longer used as a conjunction. In older English it was possible. In modern English, except is used as a preposition.
Everybody had a prize except me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Composition on Female Education in Bangladesh for Examination

  Female Education in Bangladesh Education is a light to which everybody has the equal right. Education is the backbone of a nation. The ...