Thank you is more formal than thanks.
- Thank you. (NOT Thanks you.)
- Thanks a lot. (NOT Thank you a lot.)
- Thank you very much.
- Thanks very much.
- Thank God it’s Friday. (NOT Thanks God …)
- Thank you very much indeed. (BUT NOT Thank you indeed.)
- Thank you for coming.
- Thanks for everything.
- ‘Would you like some coffee?’ ‘Thank you.’
- ‘Another cake?’ ‘No, thanks. I have eaten too many already.’
Replies to thanksBritish people, do not usually answer when they are thanked for small things. If a reply is a necessary, we can say Not at all (formal), You are welcome, Don’t mention it, That’s quite all right or That’s OK (informal).
- ‘Here is your coat.’ ‘Thanks.’ (no answer)
- ‘Thanks so much for looking after the children.’ ‘That’s all right.’ (answer necessary)