Thursday, June 21, 2012

Practice ;Passage Narration for HSC Exam

 Narration
Re-write the following passage in the reported speech.

1. �What has happened there?� said the police officer. �A bus collided with a rickshaw.� �Has anyone died?� �No, but the two rickshaw passengers are seriously injured. One is a woman and the other is her son.� said the passer-by.

2. The stranger said to the boy, �Can you tell me the way to the nearest hotel?� �Yes. Do you want a residential one in which you can spend the night?� said the boy. �I don�t want to stay there. I only want a meal,� replied the man. �Then go straight this way to get one.�

3. �I have these bangles to sell,� Parboti said showing her wrist.
�Is that why you have come back with them?� asked Supria.
Parboti nodded.
�But won�t they mind?� asked Supria.
�I have no other money. I have to sell them.�

4. �Come in, Jerry� I said, �If you are allowed to be away this late.� �I told them I thought you would want to see me.� �That�s true,� I assured him and I saw his relief. �I want to hear about how you managed with the dog.�

5. �I�ve made a terrible mistake!� said Aman. �That�s not surprising. You�re always making mistakes� said Ruma. �What have you done?�
�I�ve forgotten to pay my exam fee. Yesterday was the last date� said Aman.

6. The old man said, �Can you give me some food? I have been starving for two days.� The maid said. �Why do you beg? Can�t you work?� �No, I am broken with age and weakness. It�s not possible for me to work.� The old man said.
7. �By God! I am not a thief. I am a very poor man who�ve entered the house just to ask for some help.� When caught, the stranger explained his uninvited entry to the landlady. �What sort of help do you need?� the lady�s eyes softened. �I need some work. My family is starving,� the stranger meekly replied.

8. Overhearing their whispers, the caliph said to the dervishes, �Are you not of this house, then?� �No,� they replied. �We have never been in this place before. The owner of the house told us to follow her. When we went she gave us gold coins.� �Strange!� the caliph said.

9. My friend said to me, �Why are you sitting alone in your room at this hour? Don�t you see the rain has stopped and the sky�s clear? Let�s go for a walk in the open field.� I said angrily, �Leave me alone.�

10. �Please give me your English Grammar Book,� said Ali. �I cannot give it�, said Karim. �I have to take it with me in the class.�
�I shall return the book before starting your class,� said Ali. �Take it,� said Karim. �Thanks,� said Ali.
Answer 1 : The police officer asked the passer by what had happened there. The passerby replied that a bus had collided with a rickshaw. The police officer again asked him if anyone had died. The passerby replied that no one had died but the two rickshaw passengers were seriously injured. He added that one was a woman and the other was her son.
Answer 2 : The stranger asked the boy if he could tell him the way to the nearest hotel. The boy replied that he could. Then he asked the stranger whether he wanted a residential one in which he could spend the night. The stranger replied that he did not want to stay there. He added that he only wanted a meal. Then the boy told him to go straight that way to get one.
Answer 3 : Showing her wrist Parboti told Supria that she had those bangles to sell. Supria asked Parboti whether that was why she had come back with them. Parboti nodded. Supria again asked her if they would not mind. In reply Parboti said that she had no other money. She added that she had to sell them.
Answer 4 : I told Jerry to come in if he was allowed to be away that late. Jerry said that he told them he thought I would want to see him. I saw his relief when I assured him saying that that was true. I added that I wanted to hear about how he had managed with the dog.
Answer 5 : Aman exclaimed with grief to Ruma saying that he had made a terrible mistake. Ruma commented that that was not surprising as he was always making mistakes. Then she asked him what he had done. Aman replied that he had forgotten to pay his exam fee. He added that the previous day had been the last date.
Answer 6 : The old man asked the maid if she could give him some food. He said that he had been starving for two days. The maid asked him why he begged. She also asked him if he could not work. The old man replied that he could not work. He added that he was broken with age and weakness. He also said that it was not possible for him to work.
Answer 7 : When caught, the stranger explained his uninvited entry to the landlady by swearing upon God that he was not a thief. He said that he was a very poor man who had entered the house just to ask for some help. The lady�s eyes softened as she asked him what sort of help he needed. The stranger meekly replied that he needed some work. He added that his family was starving.
Answer 8 : Overhearing their whispers the Caliph asked the dervishes if they were not of that house then. They replied that they were not of that house. They added that they had never been in that place before. They also said that the owner of the house had told them to follow her. They further said that when they went she gave them gold coins. The caliph exclaimed that it was very strange.
Answer 9 : My friend asked me why I was sitting alone in my room at that late hour. He also asked me whether I did not see the rain had stopped and the sky was clear. He then proposed to me that we should go for a walk in the open field. I angrily told him to leave me alone.
Answer 10 : Ali requested Karim to give him his English Grammar Book. Karim replied that he could not give it. He added that he had to take it with him in the class. Ali told him that he would return the book before starting his class. Then Karim told him to take it. For this Ali thanked Karim.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Composition on Female Education in Bangladesh for Examination

  Female Education in Bangladesh Education is a light to which everybody has the equal right. Education is the backbone of a nation. The ...