Saturday, May 12, 2012

Time expressions usually go at the end
or at the beginning of a sentence:
Yesterday I went to school.
I went to school yesterday.
This week I'm going to New York.
I'm going to New York this week.

Other popular time expressions:
In the morning
 When I wake up in the morning, I like to drink coffee.
 What do you drink in the morning?
morning
during the day
 During the day, they go to school .
 What do you do during the day?
students
at night
 The stars and the moon come out at night.
Most people sleep at night, but cats usually stay out late.
night
in the afternoon
 In the afternoon, I come home from school and do my homework.

homework

Using time expressions with the correct verb tense will improve your English:
- Last week I went to the movies. (past tense. )
- This week I'm working early in the morning. (present continous tense to describe the entire week)
- Next week I'm going to take a trip to California. (the "going to" future) 
Infinitives
Infinitives look like verbs, but they actually function as nouns. Consider the following sentences:
  • I like pizza. ("pizza" is a noun)
  • I like to eat. ("to eat" is an infinitive)
  • I like to eat pizza. ("pizza" is the object of the infinitive)
Infinitives can be made with just about any verb: to do, to be, to go, to make, to take, to see, to get--as long as you use the simple form of the verb. Infinitives can't be used with past tense or continuous forms:
to went, to going
Verbs such as need and want often use the infinitive:
  • Q: What do you want to do today?
  • A: I want to go to the park.
  • Q: Is there something you need to get at the store?
  • A: Yes, I need to get some mil


I like to listen to the radio.
(Infinitives are often used after the verb "like.")
radio
He likes to eat popcorn when he goes to see a movie.
popcorn
To play in the snow is one of life's greatest pleasures.
(The infinitive appears at the beginning of the sentences. This sounds very formal.)
children
He went downstairs to get some coffee.
(The infinitive is often used to explain why someone does something.)
morning
He plays the guitar in order to relax.
("in order" is similar to "because" and it introduces an explanation.)

guitar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Composition on Female Education in Bangladesh for Examination

  Female Education in Bangladesh Education is a light to which everybody has the equal right. Education is the backbone of a nation. The ...